Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fedora 12 on SDHC and booted on Sheevaplug!

Success, Success, Success!

So, continuing from my last post I learned a lesson that well, I've learned before but I guess I never want to face the reality of it: Things don't just magically happen lol.

The good news is, the Fedora 12 installation on the SD card was successful. However, I had to actually configure u-boot (the bootloader built into the SheevaPlug) in order to actually tell it to use the SD card when booting. (This is when I also reminded myself, "Hey Alex, this isn't Windows where you can just hit a function key and select which device to boot from...DUH!")

Before I could configure u-boot, I had to update it to the newer version. I used the following source to perform the update:

http://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/sheevaplug/uboot-upgrade.html

I was having some issues with the system reading the uboot.bin file from my USB key but I just re-copied the file over to the USB drive and it updated successfully.

I rebooted and could finally configure u-boot with the following commands:

Marvell>> setenv mainlineLinux yes
Marvell>> setenv arcNumber 2097
Marvell>> setenv bootargs_console console=ttyS0,115200
Marvell>> setenv bootargs_root 'rw root=/dev/mmcblk0p1 rootdelay=10 rootfstype=ext2'
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd_mmc 'mmcinit; ext2load mmc 0 0x800000 /boot/uImage-2.6.30-sheevaplug'
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd 'setenv bootargs $(bootargs_console) $(bootargs_root); run bootcmd_mmc; bootm 0x0800000'
Marvell>> saveenv
Marvell>> reset

As soon as I reset the device, Fedora booted up. It prompted me for the username (root) and password (fedoraarm) and TADAAAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment